You’re here because:
- You’ve uploaded a YouTube video
- And you want to change the thumbnail
- To a specific picture
Over here, we’ll teach you how to select a custom thumbnail when uploading a video.
Closely related: Change a custom thumbnail after upload.
How to add a custom YouTube thumbnail
To add a custom YouTube thumbnail, you need to verify your account with a phone number. Proceed to upload the video and click “Custom Thumbnail” to select your image.
- Open YouTube Studio → Upload your video
- Click Upload Thumbnail
- Locate the image in your computer → Select it
- Click NEXT → Save progress
You can then upload the video with the custom thumbnail.
- Download & Open YouTube Studio
- Tap + > Upload your video
- In the top-left corner, Image + > Select the image
- Tap Change
- Finish uploading the video
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you add a custom thumbnail to a YouTube Short?
Yes, you can add a custom thumbnail to a YouTube Short. When you’re uploading your Short, you’ll see an option to choose a thumbnail.
- Select the pencil icon near the thumbnail area
- You’ll be able to select/change the image for your thumbnail
2. Can you use any image as a thumbnail on YouTube?
Sure, you can use a wide range of images as thumbnails on YouTube, but there are a few rules.
- The image must follow YouTube’s community guidelines: nothing inappropriate/misleading.
- It’s gotta be your own creation or something you have the rights to use.
No grabbing images off the internet that aren’t free to use.
Note: Your thumbnail needs to follow the YouTube Thumbnail Size Guidelines.
This is everything to know about uploading custom thumbnails on YouTube!
Thank you for reading this,